Monday, August 23, 2010

Cadaver Experience

Cadaver Experience

No experience has a more profound impact on medical students than their first encounter with a dead body. Like other medical students, I came across a cadaver during my first-year course in Gross Anatomy.I vividly remember my first day in dissection hall. Before I entered the dissection hall, I had a very different view about a cadaver.I thought i t to be somewhat similar to a normal body with flesh still on it. But,I was wrong. It was hard, rough, and dry. That was not all. It even smelled nasty, and whenever I brought my eyes close to it, they would be filled with tears.Despite the disgust involved with it, I had an amazing experience of dissecting different parts of a cadaver. I first dissected lower limb. Though it was difficult using scalpel and forceps to dissect at first, I got quite good at it in the course of a few days. In the course of dissection, I thought that the Anatomy book (Cunningham) proved quite helpful.Despite the difficulty involved in dissecting a cadaver, it was a great learning experience for me. It was difficult for me to dissect face, hand,and genitals. This was probably because I was quite emotional. In addition, it was difficult to trace the course of nerves and arteries. But, it was quite exciting to find out how these nerves and arteries branched out to different parts of the body. Above all, this experience was crucial in understanding the subject matter beyond the text book.

Besides these, it was an excellent way of working as a group.Whenever we learnt about a new thing, we wo u l d s h a r e amongst ourselves.For example, it was great fun, matching different parts of the cadaver mentioned in our text book to the real parts in the cadaver in front of us. In a way, it was a great fun and at the same time it was vital in expanding our knowledge i n anatomy. E v e n t h o u g h anatomical dissection is a wonderful part of medical education, it is not devoid of cont roversy. I t i s surrounded by ethical issues. Despite the ethical concerns, I believe cadavers are great teachers to any anatomy student. And I thank my cadaver for teaching me what I am supposed to understand in anatomy in order to use this knowledge for some noble cause.

Nandan Choudhary
2007 Batch,RIMS,ranchi

No comments:

Post a Comment